Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Driver's Ed is Psychologically Unhealthy

I'm finally taking a driving course, but so far there have been more horror stories than educational material. I know things really have to be pounded through the skulls of most careless teens, but I'm coming to class to learn how to drive. I've got the proper mindset and logical thinking pattern, so I want to get straight to the instruction part. The teacher, a former fireman, has already given us a number of life-saving tips for various scenarios, many of which aren't taught in the books; he really cares about his students and has repeatedly mentioned that other schools don't really make sure you learn anything. But the advice given thus far has been through recountings of the accidents he dealt with in his previous career. The gruesome consequences of mistakes on the road, the sad reality of everyday crime, etc. It's not like I'm hypersensitive, but I care, and I really don't think it's good for the other facets of my life. I haven't been scared, but sleep comes with difficulty. My schoolwork has repeatedly escaped my concentration. And I've just not felt particularly happy most of the time. Call me a sissy if you want, but I'm more mature than the average teen, and such an overall interference is not how I want to prepare for getting my licence.

2 comments:

The Sojourner said...

Well, I'm not going to call you a sissy. Of course, I'm a girl. I'm also the kind of person who does an examination of conscience before going anywhere in case I die on the way. So take it for what it's worth.

I'll say a prayer for you to have better sleep and focus.

Ceff E. Roth said...

Thanks. It's gotten better as we've progressed. The main wave of newcomers is over for this set of classes, so he's not having to scare new people each time =).