Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Got Spirit Tracks

Sounds like a psychological condition.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks was on sale at Target today, and I had a couple gift cards to use. Soon I'll have completed every Zelda game to date (again), which is bound to be better than resorting to the über-easy and linear Super Mario Galaxy to stave off boredom.

Newer trailers have revealed things possibly (probably) more bizarre than Link's train, which alone made me scoff at the game. I don't even know what to say about these (go watch a trailer yourself if you want an idea), but as far as the plot goes, I can say this: I doubt it will work unless the kingdom with the disappearing Spirit Tracks is some foreign land outside of Hyrule, because there's no plausible way Hyrule could have had them and a locomotive all this time without there being some legend about them. A game cannot tie into a string of sequential storylines and introduce something out of nowhere that has supposedly been there for ages. Majora's Mask works because Link finds himself in a strange land. Minish Cap works because it is completely independent of all other games. Spirit Tracks must necessarily fall into the Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass category, because it's a direct sequel to the latter and continues Link's adventures after Wind Waker.

Unfortunately, this is not likely because the train has some form of the Hyrule crest right on it's front. In any case, my previous rant all but guarantees that it won't be as good a story as Phantom Hourglass; or at the very least, that it will be a better pastime to make fun of it than to rationalize it with its predecessor. I'll only know for sure after I play it.

No comments: