Friday, May 1, 2009

MS Word's Thesaurus Is Too Flexible.

Seriously, you know it's bad when you can't find a good synonym so you give the thing a word and wind up entertaining yourself seeing how off-track you can get from your original meaning. Here's tonight's example. It's not the best, but I find it amusing to see that I accidentally almost came full-circle with this one:

weather
erode
wear away
wear out
exhaust
drain
sap
liquid
fluid
solution
explanation
details
information
in turn
one by one
alone
unaided
independently
in competition
in contention
arguing
in conflict
fighting
war
combat
contest
race
event
affair
issue
problem
crisis
disaster
blow
gust
squall
storm

Note: I've stumbled upon a better chain, which I'll post once it reaches an end. Technically, this one could have gone on, but I got tired of navigating the different storms to find a way on. I've since looked at it and found that "gust" gives you a couple of options....

2 comments:

The Sojourner said...

Yay synonyms!

I was going to leave a long comment in response to #3 on the right, but decided it wouldn't be nice to go off on one of my pet rants. (Short version: Feminists are stoopid. But that doesn't have much intellectual weight.)

Ceff E. Roth said...

:) Reminds me of my chem teacher telling a classmate that what he said was pretty much right but not very scientific (meaning extremely unscientific).