Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reality Isn't Virtual Enough

Well, now that I have time to blog that coincides with the internet connection working and my brother not using the computer, I've got something interesting to post.



It seems Microsoft decided to top the Wii as far as interactivity. Other videos show different features and ways they are put to use, but I have a comment about what is shown in this particular one. I think it points to a problem with our society.

The designer in the video stressed two things: the ability to hold a relationship with this virtual person, and how lifelike the system is. My first thought (or perhaps second, after "wow") was: "Why not meet someone in real life?" We (as a culture) don't interact with our fellow man enough, and when we do it is far too often through some online organization. It's rather ironic that the activities with Milo are, or at least can be, so organic. And if one can recognize the value of such experiences, they ought to put the stress on reality, this incredible, nonfictional world in which we live. It reminds me of parts of the movie Wall-E ; such as the moment when two of the computer-rules-their-lives people realize there's an amazing life to take part in, if they simply turned off their screens and looked around; or the captain's utter fascination with farming, dancing, and other activities familiar to the human race back on Earth long ago.

Of course, a common opinion is likely to be that Milo "cares about you, no matter what" and is "a friend without problems." The appeal of this idea is dangerous, to be frank. It is not wise to attach yourself to someone who, artificial intelligence notwithstanding, is not real. As God made us a social people, we are here to walk together.

I'm not saying the technology is bad. Indeed, it is my hope that it will serve as an awakening, a reminder of the importance of these things. As for Milo himself, you can have as much fun with him as you like; just never forget that his existence is a fantasy.

6 comments:

Lady W said...

Now I am officially scared...
My first thought was, why don't they use this to reconstruct things for historical purposes? It would, methinks, be healthier than a virtual friend.

And as for virtual friends, now I've got to show this to my mum so she can see what a virtual friend really is. <.<

Ceff E. Roth said...

Now there's a good idea. That makes another way I might really learn history (the other way being through a History and Moral Philosophy class).

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

You said it, Th. On both counts. (Come to think of it, if we were cultured this could help something grand, say, where you don't have enough real Civil War re-enactors in your neighboorhood; it's a pity we're not exactly cultured in any deep sense.)

I maintain my opinion on Project Natal: "Virtual reality has nothing on Calvin" ~Susie Derkins, in Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes", on such antics as coming home telling his mom he's an owl as if he's actually convinced of it himself

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

As I side note, what happens when I make Milo's brain spin? Do it with people and you sometimes get lucky and get something other than simply being ignored; do it to a computer and you unmask it for a mere computer. Every time. I don't care how good your artificial intelligence is, I will reveal you to be a fake simply by finding something to say that's too original for your programming to figure out and then sitting back and laughing as your programming misinterprets it (or grunting in frustration after some automatic "I don't understand" routines get old after the first dozen times, however "lifelike" they are). Speaking of original, what about deepness? If you discuss Theology with him can he be converted, and if so will he figure out how that affects his lifestyle? Does he learn from his mood swings or are they just passing fancies like any other smalltalk? And most important of all, what happens when I make his brain spin on such things as that, if they even begin to make him simulate such levels of personality?

Ok, I should shut up now. As you can see, "artificial intelligence" is one of my pet peeves. And I'm a programmer (in fact, it's partly _because_ I'm a logical-brained programmer that I can figure out most simulated intelligence and find it incomplete in comparison with real personhood).

The Sojourner said...

[Nota bene: Imagine me saying what I've written below in a tone heavily laced with sarcasm.]

"Why not meet someone in real life?"

Oh, because that's far too risky and messy. Milo is "a friend without problems," you see, because it's just too draining to have to be compassionate towards your friends when they have problems.

[/sarcasm]

Ceff E. Roth said...

Sheesh, Cobb. Some pet peeves could stand more concision! =^..^=