Thursday, January 1, 2009

Unintended Birthday Gift

My birthday was two days ago, and it wasn't a big event. I turned old enough to do nonexistent magic outside of the nonexistent wizarding school, and I got an electric razor. Not much to write about. But then there was something that just happened to arrive that day, making it a sort of birthday treat: the continuous blood glucose monitoring system that we've been trying to get for such a long time!

It occurs to me now that I've never brought up my diabetic condition before. So, to provide the necessary information: I was diagnosed with "type 1" diabetes (otherwise known as "juvenile" diabetes, although adults can develop it as well) in 2005, and have since been checking my blood's sugar levels by stabbing my fingers at least six times a day.

The continuous monitor, the Navigator, has a sensor that remains in my flesh and constantly keeps track of my sugar levels, forming line graphs, showing change rates, and alarming when there's too much or too little sugar. This will be great for analyzing trends and making insulin ratio adjustments, as it fills in all of the gaps left when just testing as the need arises. For now, though, I'm happy to be free of so many finger sticks, especially at night when my parents check on me.

Being such new technology, getting insurance to approve of it took a long time, and we lucked out that they consented before the new year. It also seems like a special blessing that this device came on my birthday, and I'm very grateful for it.

3 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Nothing about the differences between type 1 and the more commonly known type, and how annoying it is to have people and companies give stuff that's "perfect for diabetics" only to be no better than your average stuff because of a major difference in the two?

Ceff E. Roth said...

If somebody doesn't understand, I don't feel like explaining here.

The Sojourner said...

Hi!

(What is the appropriate one-line sentiment for "You moved your blog! I found it! This makes me happy!")

Oh, and happy birthday. :) Your gift sounds like something to be grateful for (I don't know much about diabetes, type 1 or otherwise, but nonetheless...)