Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ocarina of Time Cameo: Arwing

There are a good number of beta objects in a variety of games, and any video game fan should already know of the great abundance of cameos -- that is, appearances in a game of something, such as a character, from a different game. By far, though, this is the most intricate one I've ever seen. With a gameshark code (81242E66 000981242EF4 013B81242F02 0000) you can unveil the presence of a fully functional arwing that flies around and shoots at you. This may be a cameo that was never made use of in the final production (a beta object), but the thing that really raises questions is the fact that it's so complete. The level of interaction, the sound effects used nowhere else, and the special camera attention given when you enter the forest make this a cameo you'd never expect to see. (As a side note, what the code does is replace an existing object with the values for the arwing, which probably include the "instructions" for the camera coverage. The proof of this is a bush that you cannot cut, lift, or do anything to -- namely, the bush that a Kokiri child is trying to pick up. The kid is gone; guess where he went!)



While I'm talking about Ocarina of Time, I'll mention something else: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, the more difficult and puzzling version released on the GameCube is still an N64 game. The Master Quest, as well as the GameCube ports of OoT and Majora's Mask, are technically emulated on the GameCube. As a result, Master Quest has been successfully dumped as an N64 ROM and is fully playable on an N64 emulator.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it you've tried this code yourself to see that it's real?

Anonymous said...

Also, I seem to recall Master Quest was on the 64 itself in Japan. I wonder if there's an easy way to dump the game direct from the 64 version and then patch over the text to English from a dump of the Gamecube emulation?

Anonymous said...

Of course I tried it myself. I'd have made my own video of it but for the lousy quality I get out of Hypercam on this computer.

As for Master Quest, if it was on the N64 in Japan (which it might have been, but I honestly never payed much attention because the original Ocarina of Time was good enough for me) you'd think there would be a Japanese ROM of it out there. Why would gamers go to the trouble of getting it off the GameCube if they could have just grabbed the N64 one and translated it?

Anonymous said...

I don't know; maybe most of them are better at converting roms from gamecube than at translating.