Friday, October 10, 2008

A Squared Circle - I'm a Nerd

My philosophy teacher likes to use circles and squares to illustrate contradictions in nature. There's no such thing as a square circle; the essence of a circle cannot be present in a square, and vice versa. Even God cannot square a circle, not because of a limitation on his part but because of the definitions of the two shapes.

When he answered somebody's question today he referenced the "squared circle" example. I doodled on my paper for two seconds and once again proved I'm a nerdy smart-aleck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of that myself, believe it or not, when considering the handy phrase "a square circle" for use as a shorter phrase to refer to "an inherent contradiction". Among mathy people one has to reference four-sided triangles instead, which, alas, is hardly any shorter than "inherent contradiction".

Anonymous said...

But mathematically, zero squared is still zero, and hence, still a circle. Your philosophy teacher is right! :-P

Anonymous said...

Zero is not the same as a circle.

Anonymous said...

And "L is like a 7, but it's not!"